Thursday, March 15, 2012

First Time for Everything

Well, here we go!  First post.  Hmmm....I can tell this is going to be tricky for me. My head to mouth filter doesn't always work correctly.  Honesty is the best policy so here goes....

I recently had surgery and I am off from work recuperating.  It has been so nice to just be mom for a few weeks instead of teacher/mom/everything else.  I think one of my favorite things has been my quiet time with God.  So often, I just don't have time to read the bible, pray like I need to, and really get the word in my heart like I so desperately need.  I guess honestly, I just don't make time.  I am trying my best to change that.

 If I could stay at home forever, I would!!!!  Secretly, I am a hermit.  I love to stay home and be domestic.  I always joke and say I was just never meant to work.  I am trying to enjoy the time while I can.  I actually got to make something for my daughter's class and for my son's class as well.  I felt like a "real" mom for the first time in ages.  Which brings me to my question.....

What does a real mom do?  What should be a the top of the list?  I fear I am falling short in this area. It seems the years have slipped by and now they are almost grown-ups. I feel like I've wasted so much time.  Oh, if I could go back in time I would.  Since that is not an option, I'm curious to know what other moms do to make the most of their time.  I am open to any ideas!!!

7 comments:

  1. We have some of the same things running through our heads right now. The thing I struggle with the most is being obsessive about housework. My first desire when I get home is to straighten up the house, when I should just sit and play with my kids. A dirty house is hard for me to ignore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think our brainwaves are in sinc right now. I constantly struggle with these issues. One of my biggest problems is when I get home my first urge is to clean and straighten my house. I should just ignore that sometimes and play with my kids. It's really hard for me to ignore a dirty house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! How on earth do moms get everything done without being exhausted? So many responsibilities and so few precious hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, for me, I got the opportunity to stay home with my son & would do it again....you make lots of sacrifices, but it's one of the best things I have ever done. My son is now 18, will be graduating in June, leaving for AIT Training for the Army National Guard & then will be coming home for only a week to be getting his things ready to move to Bismarck and start college. His days living at home are now numbered & soon will have an empty nest. I know it is really hard for working moms, and often wonder how they do everything! I guess a person just has to stop & take the time to make memories with your kids...make special shopping trips or just going for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend. I love you blog. I also have a hard time with your question. I find myself asking the same thing. We do have family nights. We either play games at the house or go out to eat and see a movie. I love the times we actually sit at the kitchen table and all eat together. You know I can leave work behind and if there is house work that needs to be done, I will put that aside and spend time with kids. I just have a hard time deciding what to do as a family. I hope many respond to this because I am looking forward to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What IS a "real mom"? One who stays home and reigns as Domestic Goddess; or one who goes to work to provide a paycheck to add to the family pot? No matter the lifestyle choices, the "mom guilt" is the same. In my opinion, the first item on the list is LOVE YOURSELF, then love and show love to your kids the best way you know. One thing that has changed my relationship with my kids, overnight, was something I saw on Oprah's channel: "Does your eyes light up when your kids walk into a room?" I started doing that and I saw my son receive it. That was a joyful moment and I felt like a very successful mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard that somewhere this week and it's something I need to work on. In the mornings, when I'm half asleep trying to wake everyone up for the day, I'm less than "lit up". This process is baby steps. But this one I can do. Thanks for the help!

      Delete